Taste of Summer

Today in New England we hit a high of about 75, only thing on my mind... Summer. 

I love winter and fall, but this year I have been yearning for the steamy hot temps and ice cold Dels on the beach. I have also been so into the "boho chic" trend that is going on right now; I am all about the off the shoulder tops and floral prints. SO CUTE. I can't wait to style some outfits and try out some hot pink lip colors for the summer. What trends are you looking forward to most this summer? 

So, with the hot temperatures settling in, we do have some beauty challenges we have to face. To keep your face from melting off and your hair from frizzing up, I've put together 10 of my favorite tips and tricks so you can look calm, cool and collected no matter how sticky the situation. 

Let's jump in!

1. Primer- this is essential. After applying your SPF moisturizer apply primer to your T-Zone or wherever you get oily throughout the day. I have been using the Maybelline Baby Skin Primer and have had no issues with breakouts and love the way that my foundation applies after use. I apply it right to my face with my fingertips and just push it right into my skin in circular motions. This will help combat unwanted shine throughout your busy day. Make sure this sets into your skin fully before applying foundation.

2. Liquid Lines- I don't wear eyeliner often, we all know this. During the summer I may dabble in some fun colored liners maybe some teal, coral... what do you guys think?! SO during the summer always use a liquid liner, with the heat the kohl liners can rub and smudge all over and that is not cute. Who wants raccoon eyes on a date? 

3. Scrub & Repeat-  Especially during the summer we want our legs and feet to look soft and silky. I always use a loofa and exfoliate all over, this will keep your skin looking fresh because your removing the top layer of dead skin. I self tan so it is extra important that you get rid of an dead skin before applying the tanning product. Don't forget about your feeties! Our feet need to look extra cute in those sandals! I love to shower and then apply lotion to my feet and slip into some cotton socks and get into bed! The next morning you will wake up and your feet will be as soft as a baby's bottom and ready to take on the day! 

4. Air Dry- Who wants dry weak hair? Nobody. This is the time of the year that we can get away with messy beach hair. After getting out of the shower skip the blow dryer and let your hair dry in a side braid, or a low pony. The loose side braid will create beach tousled waves that are perfect for summer. This was my go-to when my hair was a bit longer, I envy anyone that can rock it now. IF you have to blow dry your hair leave the bathroom. Don't blow dry your hair in the bathroom, the humidity left in the room will make your hair frizzy. 

5. Shave Smart- I am still into the EOS shaving lotion or using hair conditioner as shaving cream. These are my two secrets to super soft legs. Also be sure to use an alcohol free lotion on your legs after, this will help you avoid razor burn and irritation. 

6. Chill Out- I know, it may sound unpleasant, but cold showers are much better for your skin. Hot showers leech your skin of its moisture, dry skin is no bueno for summer time... or anytime! When showering try to use lukewarm water and right before exiting the shower use cold water to lock in any moisture from your body wash and to snap your pores closed. Washing your face with warm water with open your pores, and splashing cold water, will snap your pores shut. This keeps everything locked into place and fresh, 

7. Don't Go Green- To keep your hair from turning an unpleasant shade of green after a dip in chlorinated water is to get into the pool with wet hair. Use the pool shower or even the hose and wet down your hair with tap water. This will keep the chlorinated water from absorbing into your luscious locks. Also shower and shampoo/condition your hair immediately after swimming; this will also keep your hair from turning leprechaun green in the middle of July. 

8. Lighten Up- Since "cake face" is never a good look for anyone, I like to dilute my full coverage foundation with a bit of moisturizer. This can transform your foundation into a medium coverage and give you a bit more SPF which is essential for summer. You can continue to use your full coverage foundation if needed but be sure to set it in place; you do not want a facial landslide. 
*Use a foundation that is silicone based to prevent sliding and smudging*


9. De-puff- After a day spent in the sun, possibly drinking margaritas, you will most likely find yourself with a major case of puffy eyes the next morning. (Not that this has ever happened to me or anything....) To reduce puffiness use tea bags! Place your tea bags in hot water, and then remove them and allow them to cool to room temperature. Place these on your eyes for 15-30 minutes, rinse your face and viola! 

10. SPF- Safe sun is KEY! The sun is no joke and applying sunscreen only takes a second from your day; just do it. Don't skip this step, just make it apart of your routine, just like brushing your teeth. 





I have been so overwhelmingly busy lately. Work has taken over my days; and it has been so draining recently that having motivation to do anything but relax is so damn difficult. Honestly; my makeup routine lately has been non-existent. I have been reaching for the BB cream and mascara more and more, and the foundation, eye shadow & highlight less and less. I don't know if it is because I am just worn-out; ( I NEED A VACATION!) OR... I am realizing that I don't NEED all of that makeup. 




I know, I know.. I am not going to stray from my blog! 
DO NOT WORRY!!




It is just a phase, a phase of life where I just need to sit back and "get by". As I stated in my New Years post, I want to empty my bank everyday; live every single day fully and never wonder "what if"... but right now; I am getting by. I feel like I am swamped with life and I don't have time to do what makes me happy, what I want to do... even if that is sit one night on the couch with popcorn and watch Harry Potter for 5 hours. THOSE are the simple things in life that make me happy. 



I love myself for my simplicity and my ability to make people happy. 
I love myself for working hard each day. 
I love myself for knowing I deserve more than just "getting by." 

Comments

Popular Posts