GIY- Glam it yourself

Keep reading to see how to make these adorable jars! 




I am putting a little twist on "DIY" from now on, its "GIY"! I stumbled upon this adorable tutorial on Pinterest and obviously had to give it a try for myself! Usually my Pinterest attempts are an epic fail so since this one was successful I would share it with all of you. Plus, it’s adorable! 


First off, you all know how much I love the Bath&Body Works 3-Wick candles, so that is what I am using today to make these jars. It doesn't have to be BBW jar, you can use mason jars as well! Whichever jar you chose you need to place your jar in the freezer and let it sit in there for a few hours, the longer the better! Once you remove it from the freezer take a butter knife and CAREFULLY crack out the left-over wax.




(Side note)- If you use tart burners in your house once you crack out the left over candle wax you can use that in your burner! So you really are getting your money’s worth! Yay!



Once your jar is free of wax you are going to want to rinse it out and remove the stickers on the side of the jar and on the bottom. These stickers are stubborn so if you have a hard time removing them use a cotton round a bit of vinegar to remove the extra gunk from the candle label! It works like magic!




Once you jar is sparkling clean and dry you can decide which kind of design that you want on your candle, if you’re like me and you can’t decide… do one of each, why not! I used contact paper to trace out the stars and then I stuck them to the inside of the jar- make sure you push down on the edges so you have a perfect outline. You don’t need to use cut-outs you can just do a solid sparkling jar if you please!




Next, take your mod podge and apply a thin coat on the inside of the jar, you can go right over your contact paper. The mod podge is powerful, so less is more. I even applied it to the bottom of the jar; I mean who wouldn't want more glitter!! 






Before that dries pour in your glitter, any color of your choice! I placed a piece of paper underneath mine so that when you have excess glitter you can reuse it for your next jar. I just poured the glitter right into the jar and rotated the candle to coat the entire thing with a thin layer of glitter.



Once your jar is coated entirely and it appears to be an even coat you have to let it sit for about a half hour before you can peel off your contact paper. Once it’s time to peel off your shapes you can use tweezers and just slowly peel back the contact paper from the jar. This is the most difficult part because it’s hard to see it through the glitter where you left the shapes. If you can find contact paper that is different colors that is what would be best for this GIY project, but of course mine is clear so its pretty tough to see the outlines, but it worked out. 



After you peel off all the stickers you are going to need to leave your jar to dry over-night; you may be nervous that you see the white from the mod podge but I promise that it dries clear so you won’t see it once your jar has dried enough.




This last step is optional but once your jar has been sitting for a few hours I went back in with another thin layer of mod podge to just lock in all that glitter and ensure that it wasn't going to go anywhere. It also creates a smooth finish inside of the jar again, this step is optional! I still allowed it to sit overnight and the next morning I had a perfect sparkly jar! I use my jar for makeup brushes but this jar is perfect for storage and it even has a cover that comes with the jar when you purchase it! This project is so simple and definitely glamorous! It just looks so adorable sitting on my dresser and adds a perfect pop of color! If you don’t want to use it for brushes you can place an electric tea-light inside at nighttime and watch it light up like a lantern. Make sure its electric please, this could be flammable!!





Create your own adorable jar and send me pictures on Instagram or twitter! I would LOVE to see how creative all of you are!


 hmm, what will my next GIY project be?


Twitter: @cadaigle15
Instagram: @caadaigle

Comments

  1. These jars look awesome! I'll have to add them to my to-do list

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these!!! Definitely going to make this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts